Monday, March 21, 2011

Ubuntu 10.10 and Nividia graphics card.

I own compaq v3749AU laptop with AMD Turion processor and Nvidia graphics card (GeForce 7150M).
So, after installing Ubuntu 10.10 the most apparent problem was that the screen resolution is not good.
By, default Ubuntu 10.10 installs with resolution 640x480 and this is not enough for my laptop which can support a native resolution of 1280x800.
So, I had to find a solution for this.
I learned from ubuntu forum that x11.conf is the file where the resolution information is updated but I did not understand what was done there.
You can also change the screen resolution from System->Preference->Monitors. But then I realized that the change in this way remains only until you reboot your PC.
To get the permanent solution, this is what I did:
1. Go to System->Administration->Additional Drivers
2. Install the latest available graphic card driver there.
3. Thats all. You will automatically get the native resolution supported by your graphics card.
See the attached video.

You can also get the latest nvidia graphic card driver for linux from their website, but then installing the package file is another tricky thing to learn on ubuntu.


No comments:

Post a Comment